The Summer Work Program is a free summer program for 9-12th graders aged 14-19 where they can explore a career of interest, work with a mentor, and earn money! This program is operated in partnership with MassHire North Shore Career Center and Salem Public Schools. *Complete registrations by May 27th. Parent Registration is only needed for students aged 14-17.
- Personalized Component - Individual projects that match career interests!
- Supportive Environment - Cohort meetings, peer partner encouragement & lasting friendships!
- Innovative Programming - Job readiness workshops & leadership training!
- Committed Mentors - 1:1 career mentor to help with projects!
- Build Networks - Connect with peers, employers, mentors and the larger community
- Learn New Skills - Develop workplace skills through workshops and hands-on learning
- Explore Career Interests - Engage in challenging projects that connect to individual careers of interest
► Watch what last year's students had to say!
DATES - July 12th to August 18th DAYS - Mondays to Thursdays
TIME - 10:00 to 3:30 PM
Schedules can change.
- Cohort Meeting - Team building exercises and small group chats
- Career Mentor Meeting - Chat with a matched mentor
- Peer Partner Meeting - Chat and encourage a matched peer
- Project Time - Design and develop a project that meets a real-world need
- Career Readiness Workshop - Hands-on learning in workplace skills
- Career Enrichment Workshop - Hands-on activities in career fields
- Mindfulness Session - Relaxing and recharging activities
- Adventurer Session - Prepare for the adventures of high school
- Explorers Session - Explore skills for high school
- Pathfinders Session - Discover future paths to succeed
- Trailblazers Session - Learn skills to trek on a new journey
Students work 120 hours during the summer. Program components include:
- Self-paced and interactive career readiness training
- Project based learning aligned with student career interests
- Career mentor for weekly advising on the career field and project feedback
- LEAP facilitator for ongoing support
- Hourly rate at minimum wage
- Daily lunch
- Transportation assistance available to students who are more than 1 mile from the program location
- Friendly staff and community volunteers
- District COVID safety protocols in place
- Open to income-eligible high schoolers aged 14-19 residing on the North Shore, with priority given to students from economically disadvantaged households, English Learners, students of color, and first-generation-to-college students. Students are welcome regardless of documentation status.
- Admission to the program requires completion of paperwork to LEAP and MassHire North Shore Career Center.
Program Site Coordinator
For more program information, contact Madison Seligman using any method below:
Google Voice (978) 712-9714
14-15 Student Assistant Site Coordinator
For more information, contact Matt Leonard using any method below:
Google Voice(413) 274-8253
16-19 Student Assistant Site Coordinator
For more information, contact Chelsea Cimini using any method below:
Google Voice(978) 219-9617
May. 09, 2022
NPR’s Article on How the Drop in College Enrollment Impacts the Economy
Apr. 21, 2022
Letter from the Director, Great Expectations 2022
Mar. 17, 2022
LEAP spotlights success stories with 20th anniversary
Mar. 07, 2022
LEAP has shown no bounds in its 20 years
Oct. 27, 2021